#7: Gender Loving Care

Forums Dialogue #7: Gender Loving Care

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cory Verblen 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Todd Kreisman
    Keymaster

Cory Verblen
    Participant

I plan to listen to the podcast later, but would like to get these thoughts down before I forget them. And of course… I do not need to be won over here.

The most intriguing part of the overall conversation for me is what you mentioned about this law having the opposite effect than intended, and not surprisingly this effect has not been limited to NC. All the cases I’ve read about since the law was signed have been of trans men or women being hassled and/or detained because they chose to use the bathroom that matches their biological gender.

How could they have NOT seen this coming? Are they not aware of how… convincing many gender re-assignments are? Could you imagine if Chaz Bono – if he weren’t a famous, recognizable person – went into a ladies room? They would immediately think he was a sexual predator coming to attack them, and I wouldn’t blame them for thinking so. For what other reason would an adult male be in a women’s restroom?

My other thought is not a new one. It continues to amaze me how obsessed “family values conservatives” are with potties and private parts. And even more than that, how they seem to think that homosexuality and transexuality and bisexuality have something inherently to do with having sex. That gay men can’t control themselves and are constantly running around looking for any man they can find to stick their penises in. This law is nothing more than an extension of that age-old belief. That’s the kind of ignorance that makes me nauseous.

That’s all I have to say now. Maybe I’ll have additional thoughts after listening to the podcast.

Cory Verblen
    Participant

Todd Kreisman
    Keymaster

@Cory

I already heard about one case of a mannish-looking woman being physically accosted by security and thrown out of a woman’s restroom, suffering severe public humiliation and injuries in the process.

I keep trying to come at this thing by putting myself in the shoes of someone who hasn’t shared many of my experiences, and sees things differently. I get it – you love your little daughter and you’re super-protective of her, and now there’s some guy seemingly dressed as a woman, but packing a penis, heading in there after her. I can see how people who “don’t know much biology” might be up in arms and ready to take drastic action. As always, I believe it’s a matter of education. I just wish people were, in general, more willing to become educated before assuming they know what’s best. Struggling daily with the question of how best to make headway there.

Bless you, Dan Savage.

Cory Verblen
    Participant

Also behold the wisdom of Liberal Redneck: https://youtu.be/2y6LMbvTPFc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed